Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Should cheese be considered a "junk food?" You decide....

Say goodbye to a diet full of calcium and a life of strong bones. The theory that cheese products are good for you may be coming to an end. On Feb. 8, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine requested that the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) ban cheese and cheese-related advertising from being aired during children's TV programs. The Committee considers cheese, as it is very high in fat, as "not an acceptable food to be promoted to kids during the obesity epidemic." Does this mean that children should completely eliminate grilled cheese and pizza from their diets?

The United Kingdom was the first country to place a ban on junk-food advertising during children's programs. The ban includes cheese, which the UK labels as a junk food, due to its high calorie and fat contents.

I love cheese, and I don’t believe that it should be compared to the fat contents in donuts and chips. Cheese is healthy, because it is high in protein, vitamins and minerals. It also has a high source of calcium, phosphorus and zinc, which are good for the body. Furthermore, there are plenty of reduced-fat cheeses available for those people that are scared by the amount of fat in cheese products; therefore, making cheese a villain is simply not right.

The Federal Trade Commission is under no obligation to honor the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine’s request, so we will just have to wait and see how things turn out. I really hope they rule against it.

1 comment:

Elena Scuro said...

I completely agree with you. I cant believe cheese, a dairy product and something with protein and calcium, is being debated over when there are sweets, chips, and other junk foods being offered in school cafeterias.

Now, I have high cholesterol and I understand that cheese contributes to that and is a source of fat, but I feel it is a more beneficial fat than other things offered. AND I absolutely love cheese. Maybe instead of cutting cheese off the menu completely they could promote it in moderation.